Artranta Association was founded in 2012 by a group of design enthusiasts in a small town called Karstula in Central Finland. Artranta has worked with a team of top Finnish designers: Aki Choklat, Jonas Hakaniemi and Harri Koskinen, who was born in Karstula.
We offer designers and other artists the possibility to stay in Karstula for 1-3 months.
Artist residence in Karstula
You can start applying to the residence program right away. Send your application with a CV, an approximated work schedule and a short description of your project or piece of design work to Artranta ry, email@example.com
- Industrial design
- Jewelry design
- Fashion, textile and leather design
Duration of residencies: 1–3 months; 390 EUR/month
Number of designers at a time: 1–3
Expenses paid by Artranta Association:
- Guidance and excursions to local companies
- Study space and atelier
- Possible presentation of the designer’s work in the exhibition area in Galleria Himmeli, Karstula or Public Library, Karstula
What is expected of you
- Give lecture or run workshop for students or entrepreneurs
- Presenting a plan of the stay in the residence with a work schedule included
Expenses paid by designer: Travels, food & own work materials
Description of residence
Apartment & Study in Kruukkila (old farm house).
- Wireless internet connection
- Kitchen wit good equipment
How to get to Karstula
By train or by plane from Helsinki to Jyväskylä. The train from Helsinki to Jyväskylä takes about 4 hours. The flight to Jyväskylä takes 35 minutes. The bus from Jyväskylä to Karstula takes around 90 minutes.
The main highways number 4 to Jyväskylä and number 13 to Karstula. The distance from Helsinki is approximately 370 kilometres.